Profession: British Prime Minister
Biography: Anthony Eden became British Prime Minister after Winston Churchill's resignation in 1955. Prior to this he had been Foreign Secretary during the Second World War and the Cold War.
Eden's term as Prime Minister was dominated by his handling of the Suez crisis. When Egypt nationalized the Suez Canal in 1956 he joined France and Israel in authorizing an unsuccessful invasion that was harshly criticized around the world. Eden resigned as a result in 1957.
- 1952-08-14 UK Prime Minister Anthony Eden (55) weds UK prime minister's niece Clarissa Spencer-Churchill (32) in a civil ceremony at Caxton Hall, London
- 1935-06-23 UK Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden offers Benito Mussolini a Somalian harbor
- 1938-02-20 UK Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden resigns stating Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain has appeased Nazi Germany
- 1955-04-05 Anthony Eden succeeds Winston Churchill as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- 1955-05-26 Conservatives led by Anthony Eden win British parliamentary election
- 1957-01-10 After Anthony Eden's resignation Harold Macmillan becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom