Profession: President of Egypt and Nobel Laureate
Why Famous: Served as Gamal Abdel Nasser's Vice President but quickly changed Egypt's trajectory on becoming President by re-instituting a multi-party system, the Infitah economic policy, and fighting then negotiating with Israel.
Sadat led Egypt in the Yom Kippur War of 1973 to regain the Sinai Peninsula, which Israel had occupied since the Six-Day War of 1967. This made him a hero in Egypt and the wider Arab World.
After the war he engaged in negotiations with Israel and the United States that culminated in the Egypt-Israel Peace Treaty. Popular in Egypt but unpopular in the Arab world the treaty saw Egypt regain the Sinai Peninsula and its suspension from the Arab League.
The peace treaty led to Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin winning the Nobel Peace Prize, making Sadat the first Muslim Nobel laureate. Sadly it also led to the his Assassination in 1981.
- 1949-05-29 President of Egypt Anwar Sadat (30) weds human rights activist Jehan Raouf (16) in Egypt
- 1970-09-28 Anwar Sadat replaces Gamal Abdel Nasser as acting Egyptian President
- 1970-10-15 Anwar Sadat elected 3rd President of Egypt, succeeding Gamal Abdel Nasser
- 1970-10-17 Anwar Sadat sworn in as the 3rd President of Egypt
- 1972-07-18 Egyptian president Anwar Sadat throws out 20,000 Russian military aides
- 1975-06-05 Egyptian president Anwar Sadat reopens Suez Canal (closed since 1967)
- 1975-10-26 Anwar Sadat becomes the 1st Egyptian president to officially visit the United States
- 1977-03-12 Egyptian President Anwar Sadat pledges to regain Arab territory from Israel
- 1977-04-03 Egyptian President Anwar Sadat's 1st meeting with US President Jimmy Carter
- 1977-11-14 Egyptian President Anwar Sadat repeats willingness to visit Israel to Walter Cronkite
- 1977-11-17 Egyptian President Anwar Sadat formally accepts invitation to visit Israel
- 1977-11-19 Egyptian President Anwar Sadat arrives in Israel
- 1977-11-20 Egyptian President Anwar Sadat becomes the 1st Arab leader to address Israeli Knesset
- 1977-12-25 Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin meets Egyptian President Anwar Sadat in Egypt
- 1978-09-05 Anwar Sadat, Menachem Begin and Jimmy Carter begin Egypt-Isreal peace conference at Camp David
- 1978-09-17 Anwar Sadat, Menachem Begin and Jimmy Carter sign the Camp David Accords, frameworks for peace in the Middle East and between Egypt and Israel
- 1978-09-23 100,000 cheering Egyptians welcome Anwar Sadat home from Camp David peace summit
- 1978-10-26 Menachem Begin and Anwar Sadat named joint winners of 1978 Nobel Peace Prize
- 1978-12-10 Menachem Begin and Anwar Sadat accept the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo
- 1979-03-26 Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin and Egyptian President Anwar Sadat sign the Egypt-Israel Peace Treaty in Washington, D.C.
- 1979-04-02 Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin meets Egyptian President Anwar Sadat in Cairo
- 1981-10-08 US President Ronald Reagan greets predecessors Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford and Richard Nixon before sending them to Egypt for Anwar Sadat's funeral
- 1981-10-10 Anwar Sadat's funeral service held in Cairo