Full Name: Arthur James Balfour, 1st Earl of Balfour
Profession: British Prime Minister
Biography: British Conservative politician who was Prime Minister from July 1902 to December 1905.
As Foreign Secretary he became famous for writing the Balfour Declaration which proclaimed support for a Jewish state in Palestine.
- 1902-07-12 Arthur Balfour succeeds Lord Salisbury, who retired as British Prime Minister on 11 July
- 1902-12-18 British parliament passes the Education Act, which will come to be regarded as the most important legislation of Arthur Balfour's government
- 1905-12-04 British government of Arthur Balfour resigns
- 1917-10-30 British government gives final approval to Balfour Declaration
- 1917-11-02 Balfour Declaration proclaims support for a Jewish state in Palestine
- 1920-04-20 Balfour Declaration recognized, makes Palestine a British Mandate
- "Nothing matters very much and few things matter at all" - Life