Profession: General and Dictator
Why Famous: Pinochet ruled Chile under a military dictatorship between 1973-1990, having been helped into power by a CIA backed Coup d'état to overthrow the democratically-elected socialist government of Salvador Allende.
While attempts to reform Chile's political, economic and constitutional issues were made, Pinochet's 17 year-military rule was characterized by disappearances, repression, and torture before he stepped down in 1990. He continued to serve as Commander-in-Chief until 1998 when he was arrested in connection with numerous human rights violations.
- 1943-02-18 Augusto Pinochet Ugarte (Chilean general/dictator) marries Lucia Hiriart
- 1973-09-11 Chilean President Salvador Allende is deposed in a military coup led by general Augusto Pinochet
- 1974-07-01 General Augusto Pinochet becomes president and dictator of Chile
- 1976-09-21 Orlando Letelier is assassinated in Washington, D.C. He was a member of the Chilean socialist government of Salvador Allende, overthrown in 1973 by Augusto Pinochet.
- 1977-03-12 Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet bans the Christian-Democratic Party
- 1981-03-11 Chile constitution takes effect, Augusto Pinochet's second term begins
- 1986-07-02 General strike against Pinochet regime in Chile
- 1986-09-07 Failed assassination attempt on Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, kills 5 people
- 1988-10-05 Chile votes in a referendum 56-44 against extending Augusto Pinochet's regime by 8 years thus ending the dictator's 16½ years in power
- 1998-10-16 Former Chilean dictator General Augusto Pinochet is arrested in London on a Spanish warrant requesting his extradition on murder charges
- 2000-03-02 Former Chilean dictator General Augusto Pinochet heads home after being told the UK would not extradite him on torture charges
- 2004-12-13 Former Chilean dictator, General Augusto Pinochet is put under house arrest, after being sued under accusations over 9 kidnapping actions and manslaughter. The house arrest is lifted the same day on appeal.