Why Famous: Ava Gardner was one of Hollywood's leading actresses and is considered one of the most beautiful women to ever appear on screen. For her work in "Mogambo", she was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress.
Gardner was known throughout her career for her portrayal of sultry femme fatale character and first rose to prominence playing one in the film noir "The Killers" (1946).
Gardner was also known for her high profile marriages to Frank Sinatra, Artie Shaw and Mickey Rooney. She also had relationships with a number of other famous men including Howard Hughes and Ernest Hemingway and shared Heminhway's love of bullfighting.
- 1942-01-10 Actress Ava Gardner (19) weds actor Mickey Rooney (21) in Ballard, California
- 1945-10-17 Actress Ava Gardner (22) weds band leader Artie Shaw (35) in Hollywood
- 1951-11-07 Entertainer Frank Sinatra (34) marries 2nd wife film star Ava Gardner (26)
- 1957-07-05 Singer and actor Frank Sinatra and movie star Ava Gardner divorce after 6 years of marriage
- 1946-08-28 Film noir "The Killers" premieres, directed by Robert Siodmak, starring Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner, based on a story by Ernest Hemingway
- 1954-09-29 "Barefoot Contessa" film directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz, starring Ava Gardner and Humphrey Bogart premieres at the Capitol