Profession: Formula 1 Driver
Why Famous: Widely regarded as one of the greatest Formula 1 drivers of all time, Senna won three Formula One world championships for McLaren in 1988, 1990 and 1991, as well as a slew of other victories in various races.
His death during a race in 1994 led to widespread global mourning and was considered by many Brazilians to be a national tragedy. Almost three million people gathered in São Paulo during his funeral, the largest gathering of mourners in modern times.
- 1988-10-30 Brazilian McLaren driver Ayrton Senna wins Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka, his record 8th GP win of the season; clinches first Formula 1 World Drivers Championship
- 1988-11-13 Brazilian McLaren driver Ayrton Senna finishes 2nd in the season ending Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide to win his first Formula 1 World Drivers Championship; wins title by 3 points from Alain Prost
- 1989-10-22 Over-competitive McLaren teammates Alain Prost & Ayrton Senna famously collide and skid into an escape road during Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka; Prost retires from race and claims 3rd Formula 1 World Drivers Championship
- 1989-11-05 French McLaren driver Alain Prost withdraws early in wet Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide but wins his 3rd Formula 1 World Drivers Championship; wins by 16 points from teammate Ayrton Senna
- 1990-10-21 Ayrton Senna of Brazil crashes his McLaren during the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka but clinches his second Formula 1 World Drivers Championship
- 1990-11-04 Ayrton Senna retires with gearbox trouble during the season-ending Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide; wins by 7 points from Alain Prost; McLaren-Honda wins Constructors title for 3rd straight year
- 1991-03-24 Ayrton Senna wins the Brazilian Grand Prix for the 1st time, at Interlagos, São Paulo
- 1991-10-20 Brazilian McLaren driver Ayrton Senna clinches his 2nd straight, and 3rd overall F1 World Drivers Championship by finishing 2nd in the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka
- 1991-11-03 Ayrton Senna wins Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide; shortest F1 race ever run (14 laps) because of wet conditions; Senna retains his 3rd World Drivers Championship by 24 points from Nigel Mansell
- 1993-11-07 French Williams driver Alain Prost finishes 2nd in season ending Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide to claim his 4th F1 World Drivers Championship by 26 points from Ayrton Senna; Prost announces his retirement from F1 racing
- 1994-05-01 Three-time World Formula 1 Drivers champion Ayrton Senna of Brazil is killed in a 309 kmh crash whilst leading the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola in Italy
- 2014-10-05 French F1 driver Jules Bianchi collides with recovery vehicle during Japanese Grand Prix, dies 10 months later; first F1 death due to racing accident in 21 years (Ayrton Senna 1994)