Full Name: Nguyễn Phúc Vĩnh Thụy
Profession: Emperor of Vietnam
Why Famous: The ruler of the protectorate of Annam, then a French-controlled colony within French Indochina. During World War II Bảo Đại was a client of the Japanese occupation, before Viet Minh leader Ho Chi Minh convinced him to abdicate in August 1945. He returned as Chief of State in the internationally recognized State of Vietnam from 1949 until 1955.
Ngô Đình Diệm's fraudulent 1955 referendum permanently removed Bảo Đại as the head of state of Vietnam.
- 1934-03-20 Vietnam emperor Bảo Đại (20) weds empress Nam Phương (19) at the imperial city of Huế
- 1949-06-14 French-allied State of Vietnam is officially formed during the First Indochina War, Bảo Đại installed as Emperor
- 1949-07-02 The State of Vietnam is internationally recognised, governing the southern half of Vietnam, with Bảo Đại as chief of state
- 1950-02-07 United States formally recognizes the State of Vietnam as the legitimate government of Vietnam, with Bảo Đại as leader
- 1950-08-13 US President Harry Truman gives military aid to Vietnamese regime of Bảo Đại