Profession: US General and Turncoat
Why Famous: A general during the American Revolutionary War, Arnold defected to the British army and planned to surrender the fortifications at West Point, New York to the British before the plan was foiled.
His name has become a byword for treason and betrayal in the United States.
- 1767-02-22 US Defector General Benedict Arnold (26) weds the daughter of the sheriff of New Haven Margaret Mansfield
- 1779-04-08 US Defector General Benedict Arnold (38) weds Peggy Shippen (18) at Shippen's townhouse in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 1779-12-23 Benedict Arnold court-martialed for improper conduct
- 1780-09-21 Benedict Arnold gives British Major John André plans to West Point
- 1780-09-23 British Major John Andre reveals Benedict Arnold's plot to betray West Point
- 1780-09-25 Benedict Arnold joins the British
- 1781-01-05 British naval expedition led by Benedict Arnold burns Richmond, Virginia