Full Name: Benjamin Disraeli, 1st Earl of Beaconsfield
Profession: British Prime Minister
Why Famous: British statesman who twice served as Prime Minister, Disraeli played a central role in the creation of the modern Conservative Party.
He is remembered for his influential voice in world affairs and his political battles with the Liberal Party leader William Gladstone.
Disraeli defined the policies of the Conservatives and making it the party most identified with the glory and power of the British Empire.
He is the only British Prime Minister of Jewish birth.
- 1868-02-29 1st British government of Benjamin Disraeli forms
- 1868-12-02 1st British government of Benjamin Disraeli resigns
- 1874-02-21 Benjamin Disraeli succeeds William Gladstone as British Prime Minister
- 1911-09-18 Louis Napoleon Parker's "Disraeli" premieres in NYC
- "To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge."