Why Famous: Bette Davis was one of Hollywood's great actresses during its golden age. She was the first actor or actress to be nominated ten times, winning twice for "Dangerous" (1935) and "Jezebel" (1938).
Other significant roles during her career included her comeback film "All About Eve" (1950) and the horror "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" (1962) with Joan Crawford with whom she has a real life rivalry.
In 1941 she became the first female president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, In 1977 she was also the first woman to be presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Film Institute.
- 1932-08-18 Actress Bette Davis (24) weds musician Harmon Nelson (25)
- 1938-12-06 Actress Bette Davis (30) divorces musician Harmon Nelson (31) due to cruel and inhuman manner after more than 6 years of marriage
- 1940-12-31 Actress Bette Davis (32) weds New England innkeeper Arthur Farnsworth at 15,000-acre ranch in Lake Montezuma, Arizona
- 1945-11-30 Actress Bette Davis (37) weds artist William Grant Sherry
- 1950-07-05 Actress Bette Davis (42) divorces artist William Grant Sherry after more than 4 years of marriage
- 1950-07-28 Actress Bette Davis (42) weds actor Gary Merrill (34) in Mexico
- 1960-07-06 Actress Bette Davis (52) divorces actor Gary Merrill (46) after almost 10 years of marriage
- 1930-12-23 Bette Davis arrives in Hollywood under contract to Universal Studios
- 1936-03-05 8th Academy Awards: "Mutiny on the Bounty", Victor McLaglen & Bette Davis wins
- 1938-03-10 "Jezebel" film premieres directed by William Wyler, starring Bette Davis and Henry Fonda, from the play by Owen Davis
- 1939-02-23 11th Academy Awards: "You Can’t Take It With You", Spencer Tracy & Bette Davis wins
- 1942-10-22 "Now, Voyager" film directed by Irving Rapper starring Bette Davis, Paul Henreid and Claude Rain premieres in New York
- 1950-10-13 "All About Eve" directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz and starring Bette Davis and Anne Baxter premieres (Academy Awards Best Picture 1951)
- 1962-10-31 "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" horror film released directed by Robert Aldrich, starring Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, based on novel by Henry Farrell
- 1977-03-02 Bette Davis is 1st woman to receive American Film Institute's Life Achievement Award
- 1981-05-16 "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes hits #1 for next 9 weeks
- 1981-06-27 "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes returns to #1 slot