Profession: 42nd US President
Political Party: Democratic
Political Titles: Governor of Arkansas, Attorney General of Arkansas
Why Famous: Governor of Arkansas he became the first two-term Democratic President since FDR serving 1993-2001. Oversaw a period of strong economic prosperity in the US, and signed the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
His second term was marred by a scandal involving intern Monica Lewinsky for which he was impeached in 1998 but acquitted in 1999.
With his wife, Hillary Clinton he has continued to wield significant influence over American politics since his presidential term ended in 2000.
- 1975-10-11 Future US President Bill Clinton (29) weds future US Senator and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham (28) in a Methodist ceremony in their living room in Fayetteville, Arkansas
- 1992-01-27 Presidential candidate Bill Clinton (D) & Genifer Flowers accuse each other of lying over her assertion they had a 12-year affair
- 1992-10-11 1st three-way US presidential debate (George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Ross Perot)
- 1992-11-03 Bill Clinton (D) wins US presidential election over President George H. W. Bush (R)
- 1993-01-20 Bill Clinton (D) inaugurated as 42nd US President
- 1993-01-20 Maya Angelou is 1st African American and woman to recite a poem at inauguration of a US President - "On the Pulse of Morning" for Bill Clinton
- 1993-02-11 President Clinton selects Janet Reno to be first female US Attorney General
- 1993-06-14 Ruth Bader Ginsburg is nominated to the United States Supreme Court by President Bill Clinton
- 1993-06-27 Don Henley booed in Milwaukee when he dedicates the song "It's Not Easy Being Green" to President Clinton
- 1993-07-19 President Clinton fires FBI director William Sessions
- 1993-11-30 President Clinton signs Brady Gun Control Bill
- 1994-02-03 President Bill Clinton lifts US trade embargo against Vietnam
- 1994-05-08 President Clinton announces US will no longer repatriate boat people
- 1995-01-14 Mexico pledges profits from state-owned Pemex's $7-billion-per-year oil revenues in an effort to secure US congressional approval of loan guarantees; President Clinton approves a $20-billion U.S. aid package for Mexico
- 1995-01-31 President Bill Clinton authorizes a $20 billion loan to Mexico to stabilize its economy.
- 1995-04-23 President Clinton declares a national day of mourning for Oklahoma City
- 1995-11-29 US President Bill Clinton lifts ban on exports of oil from the Alaskan North Slope; the ban was imposed after the oil embargo by Arab oil producers in 1973
- 1996-04-30 US President Clinton approves the sale of $227 million of crude oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve; US gas prices are at their highest levels in 5 years
- 1996-05-28 U.S. President Bill Clinton's former business partners in the Whitewater land deal, James McDougal and Susan McDougal, and Arkansas Governor Jim Guy Tucker, are convicted of fraud.
- 1996-08-06 US President Bill Clinton signs a new bill imposing sanctions on non-US companies which invest over $40 million a year in the energy sectors of Iran or Libya
- 1996-08-26 US President Bill Clinton signs welfare reform into law, representing major shift in welfare policy
- 1996-09-24 U.S. President Bill Clinton signed the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty at the United Nations.
- 1996-10-06 Bob Dole and President Bill Clinton meet in their 1st debate
- 1997-03-04 US President Clinton bans federally funded human cloning research
- 1997-03-14 President Clinton trips & injures his knee requiring surgery
- 1997-05-20 US President Clinton signs an executive order barring new US investment in Burma (also known as Myanmar), effective May 21 and renewable annually
- 1997-12-16 US President Bill Clinton names his Labrador retriever "Buddy"
- 1998-01-07 Former White House intern Monica Lewinsky signs affidavit denying she had an affair with President Bill Clinton
- 1998-01-17 US President Bill Clinton faces sexual harassment charges from Paula Jones
- 1998-01-26 President Bill Clinton says "I want to say one thing to the American people; I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky"
- 1998-05-22 Lewinsky scandal: a federal judge rules that United States Secret Service agents can be compelled to testify before a grand jury concerning the scandal, involving President Bill Clinton.
- 1998-05-26 Date for Paula Jones sex harassment trial vs President Clinton
- 1998-08-17 Monica Lewinsky scandal: US President Bill Clinton admits in taped testimony he had an "improper physical relationship" with the intern and on the same day admits before the nation he "misled people" about the relationship
- 1998-09-11 Independent counsel Kenneth Starr sends a report to the U.S. Congress accusing President Bill Clinton of 11 possible impeachable offenses.
- 1998-11-16 Monica Lewinsky signs a deal for the North American rights to a book about her affair with US President Clinton
- 1998-11-19 Lewinsky scandal: The United States House of Representatives Judiciary Committee begins impeachment hearings against U.S. President Bill Clinton.
- 1998-12-19 Lewinsky scandal: The United States House of Representatives forwards articles I and III of impeachment against President Bill Clinton to the Senate.
- 1999-01-07 Impeachment trial of President Bill Clinton begins in the US Senate.
- 1999-02-12 US President Bill Clinton acquitted by the Senate in his impeachment trial
- 1999-04-12 US President Bill Clinton is cited for contempt of court for giving "intentionally false statements" in a sexual harassment civil lawsuit.
- 2000-05-02 President Bill Clinton announces that accurate GPS access would no longer be restricted to the United States military
- 2000-11-16 Bill Clinton becomes the first U.S. President to visit Vietnam since the end of the Vietnam War
- 2009-08-04 Kim Jong-il meets former president Bill Clinton. He pardons and releases captured American journalists Euna Lee and Laura Ling who were found guilty of entering the country illegally.