Full Name: William Henry Gates
Profession: Microsoft Founder
Why Famous: Gates co-founded Microsoft in 1975 along with Paul Allen. They developed BASIC then later MS-DOS for IBM before launching Microsoft Windows in 1995. Windows went on to become the most dominate personal computer operating system, with Microsoft using at times controversial anticompetitive tactics. Gates, now one of the richest men in the world, established in 2000 the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for Philanthropic purposes.
- 1994-01-01 Microsoft CEO Bill Gates (38) marries Melinda French (29)
- 1975-04-04 Microsoft is founded as a partnership between Bill Gates and Paul Allen to develop and sell BASIC interpreters for the Altair 8800
- 1994-11-11 Bill Gates buys Leonardo da Vinci's "Codex" for $30,800,000
- 1995-07-17 Forbes Magazine announces Bill Gates is the richest man in world with a net worth of $12.9 billion dollars
- 1998-02-04 Bill Gates gets a pie thrown in his face in Brussels, Belgium
- 1998-03-03 Bill Gates testifies at Senate Judiciary Committee about Microsoft's dominant position in the software industry
- 2000-01-13 Microsoft chairman Bill Gates steps aside as chief executive and promotes company president Steve Ballmer to the position
- 2007-08-08 Carlos Slim overtakes Bill Gates as world's richest person with estimated net worth of US$59 billion, according to "Fortune"
- 2008-06-27 Bill Gates steps down as Chairman of Microsoft Corporation to work full time for the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- 2013-05-16 Bill Gates regains his position as the world's richest man with $72.7 billion after losing the position in 2008
- 2016-03-01 Forbes Richest List released, Bill Gates No. 1 with $75 billion, number of world's billionaires shrinks to 1,810
- 2017-07-27 Amazon founder Jeff Bezos briefly becomes world's richest man at $91.4bn overtaking Bill Gates for half a day
- 2018-03-06 Forbes names Amazon founder Jeff Bezos the world's richest person for the first time at $112 billion, Bill Gates no. 2
- 2020-03-13 Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates steps down from the company's board to focus on philanthropic activities