Profession: Father of Rock 'n' Roll
Why Famous: Considered to have first popularized the genre of rock 'n' roll, Haley experienced fame in the early 1950s with his group the Comets. They recorded classic early rock songs such as "Rock Around the Clock", "See You Later, Alligator" and "Shake, Rattle and Roll".
Haley sold more than 25 million albums.
Died: February 9, 1981 (aged 55)
Cause of Death: An alcoholic, Haley's death certificate listed "Natural causes: Most likely heart attack" as the 'Immediate Cause' of death. The next lines, 'Due to, or as a consequence of" were blank.
- 1946-12-11 "Bill Haley & His Comets" rock 'n' roll musician Bill Haley (21) weds Dorothy Crowe
- 1952-11-18 "Rock Around The Clock" rock 'n' roll pioneer Bill Haley (27) weds second wife Barbara Cupchak
- 1954-04-12 Bill Haley and the Comets record "Rock Around Clock"
- 1954-06-12 Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" is originally released
- 1955-07-09 Bill Haley & Comets' "Rock Around the Clock" tops the billboards chart, one of the best-selling singles ever