Full Name: William Henry Rodgers
Profession: Marathon Runner
Why Famous: Despite never winning an Olympic medal, Rodgers is one of the biggest names in marathon history.
His window of success was short but notable. Rodgers won both the New York City Marathon and the Boston Marathon 4 times each between 1975 and 1980. He also won the Fukuoka Marathon in 1977, making him the only runner ever to hold all 3 major marathon titles at the same time.
Unfortunately for Rodgers, he finished a disappointing 40th at the Montreal Olympics in 1976 and did not run in the LA Olympics in 1980 due to the US boycott.
Rodgers was ranked world #1 marathon runner by “Track & Field News” in 1975, 1977 and 1979.
- 1975-04-21 79th Boston Marathon: American Bill Rodgers wins men's section in race record 2:09:55; Liane Winter of West Germany women's champion in 2:42:24 (female world record)
- 1976-10-24 New York City Marathon: American Bill Rodgers wins his first title in 2:10:10; Miki Gorman takes out women's race in 2:39:11
- 1977-10-23 New York City Marathon: defending champion Bill Rodgers wins in 2:11:38; Miki Gorman retains women's title in 2:43:10
- 1978-04-17 82nd Boston Marathon: US double; Bill Rodgers wins his 2nd men's title in 2:10:13; Gayle Barron women's champion in 2:44:52
- 1978-10-22 New York City Marathon: Grete Waitz of Norway wins in her race debut in world record 2:32:30; Bill Rodgers wins his third straight title in 2:12:12
- 1979-04-16 83rd Boston Marathon: American double; Bill Rodgers wins 2nd straight event and 3rd overall title in 2:09:27; Joan Benoit women's champion in 2:35:15
- 1979-10-21 New York City Marathon: Bill Rodgers wins 4th straight men's title in 2:11:42; defending champion Grete Waitz of Norway takes out women's event in 2:27:33
- 1980-04-21 84th Boston Marathon: Bill Rodgers wins 3rd straight event and 4th overall title in 2:12:11; Jacqueline Gareau of Canada women's winner in 2:34:28; Rosie Ruiz disqualified for not running the entire course
- Bill Rodgers - Running Past