Why Famous: Nicknamed "Lady Day", she had a seminal influence on jazz and pop singing. Her vocal style, strongly inspired by jazz instrumentalists, pioneered a new way of manipulating phrasing and tempo.
- 1941-08-25 Jazz musician Billie Holiday (26) weds trombonist Jimmy Monroe
- 1957-03-28 Jazz musician Billie Holiday (41) weds mafia enforcer Louis McKay
- 1929-05-02 Billie Holiday (14) and her mother are arrested for prostitution following a raid of a brothel in Harlem
- 1933-11-11 Billie Holiday's second song and first hit, "Riffin' the Scotch", is released
- 1947-05-16 Billie Holiday is arrested in her New York apartment for possession of narcotics
- 1948-03-16 Billie Holiday is released from prison early because of good behaviour
- 1948-03-27 Just 11 days after being released from prison, Billie Holiday plays in front of a sold-out crowd at Carnegie Hall
- 2014-06-08 Audra McDonald wins a Tony for her portrayal of Billie Holiday in "Lady Day at Emerson's Bar And Grill"
- "You've got to have something to eat and a little love in your life before you can hold still for any damn body's sermon on how to behave."