Biography: Since releasing his first hit song, "Piano Man," in 1973, Billy Joel has become the sixth best-selling recording artist and the third best-selling solo artist in the United States.
Joel is also a six-time Grammy Award winner who has been nominated for 23 Grammy Awards throughout his career and has sold more than 150 million records worldwide.
- 1985-03-23 American 'Piano Man' Billy Joel (34) weds American supermodel Christie Brinkley (31), on a yacht moored alongside the Statue Of Liberty; divorce in 1994
- 1994-03-26 American 'Piano Man' Billy Joel (45) and American supermodel Christie Brinkley (40) divorce after 9 years of marriage
- 1994-04-14 Musician Billy Joel & supermodel Christie Brinkley announce plans to divorce
- 2004-10-02 "Piano Man" singer-songwriter Billy Joel (55) weds television food critic and chef Katie Lee (23) at 15-acre waterfront estate in Centre Island, New York; divorce 2009
- 2015-07-04 Music legend Billy Joel (66) weds equestrian Alexis Roderick (33) in Long Island
- 1978-10-13 "52nd Street" 6th studio album by Billy Joel is released (Grammy Award Album of the Year 1979)
- 1979-02-15 21st Grammy Awards: Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are"; A Taste of Honey win
- 1980-02-27 22nd Grammy Awards: Song of the Year Kenny Loggins' "What a Fool Believes" Best Album Billy Joel's "52nd Street
- 1980-07-18 Billy Joel's "Glass Houses" album tops US charts, featuring "It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me"
- 1981-02-25 23rd Grammy Awards: Sailing, Christopher Cross, Billy Joel wins
- 1985-09-22 First Farm Aid benefit concert, Champaign, Illinois; organized by Willie Nelson, Neil Young and John Mellencamp; performers included Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Billy Joel, B.B. King, Hoyt Axton, Joni Mitchell, Rickie Lee Jones, and Emmylou Harris
- 1990-06-22 Billy Joel performs a concert at Yankee Stadium, New York City
- 1992-06-24 Billy Joel gets an honorary diploma from Hicksville High School (Nassau, Long Island, New York) at 43
- 1994-10-17 Billy Joel performs opening concert at Cleveland's Gund Arena
- 1999-03-15 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees: Billy Joel; Curtis Mayfield; Paul McCartney; Del Shannon; Dusty Springfield; Bruce Springsteen; The Staple Singers; Charles Brown; Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys; and George Martin
- Billy Joel Timeline - Billyjoel.com