Profession: Ice Hockey Legend
Why Famous: Played in the NHL for 10 seasons with the Boston Bruins. Widely acknowledged to be one of the greatest hockey players of all time. As a defenceman, he used his ice skating speed and scoring and play-making abilities to revolutionize the position.
Remains the only defenceman to have won the league scoring title with two Art Ross Trophies and holds the record for most points and assists in a single season by a defenceman. Won a record eight consecutive Norris Trophies as the NHL's best defenceman and three consecutive Hart Trophies as the league's most valuable player.
- 1973-09-08 Ice hockey star Bobby Orr (25) weds speech therapist Peggy Wood at a secret ceremony in Ontario, Canada
- 1966-10-19 Bobby Orr makes his NHL regular-season debut for the Boston Bruins against the Detroit Red Wings
- 1966-10-22 Ice hockey legend Bobby Orr scores his first career goal (vs Montreal Canadiens)
- 1968-12-14 Bobby Orr scores first career hat trick (vs Chicago Blackhawks)
- 1970-05-10 Bobby Orr scores one of the most famous goals in hockey history, an overtime goal that gives the Boston Bruins its first Stanley Cup since 1941
- 1971-08-26 Bobby Orr signs a five-year contract with the Boston Bruins worth one million dollars, the first million dollar contract in NHL history
- 1975-11-28 Bobby Orr plays his last game for the Boston Bruins
- 1976-06-08 Bobby Orr signs a five-year contract with the Chicago Blackhawks
- 1978-10-28 Bobby Orr scores his last career NHL goal (vs Detroit Red Wings)
- 1979-01-09 Bobby Orr's #4 jersey is retired by the Boston Bruins
- 2013-11-03 Bobby Orr's autobiography "Orr: My Story" debuts at the #8 position on The New York Times best seller list for nonfiction