Full Name: Carles Puigdemont i Casamajó
Profession: President of Catalonia
Why Famous: Puigdemont was President of the Spanish region of Catalonia from 12 January 2016 until his dismissal by the central government on 28 October 2017.
During his time in office he spearheaded the Catalan independence movement, holding a controversial referendum on 1 October 2017 which the Spanish Constitutional Court deemed illegal. In this referendum, against a 43% turnout, 92% voted in favor of independence.
Puigdemont led the parliament in declaring independence from Spain on 27 October 2017. The following day he was dismissed from his post as the central government imposed direct rule; after this he fled to exile in Belgium while charges of sedition and rebellion were filed against him.
- 2017-09-06 Catalonia's parliament passes law to allow referendum on independence from Spain
- 2017-09-11 One million march on this state's national day in Barcelona in support of independence for Catalonia
- 2017-10-01 Amid a deepening constitutional crisis, Catalonia holds an independence referendum on seceding from Spain
- 2017-10-03 King Felipe of Spain speaks out against the Catalan referendum saying organizers have "broken the rule of law"
- 2017-10-05 Spanish constitutional court suspends Catalan parliament to prevent declaration of independence
- 2017-10-14 Spanish government says it will impose direct rule on Catalonia after the region voted for independence in a referendum
- 2017-10-21 Spanish government suspends Catalonia's autonomy in the face of a deepening political crisis over the region's push for independence
- 2017-10-27 Catalan parliament meets and unilaterally declares independence from Spain
- 2017-10-28 Spain's central government imposes direct rule on Catalonia, dismisses its government and calls for new elections in December
- 2019-10-14 Spain's Supreme Court jails nine Catalan separatist leaders for sedition for 2017 independence referendum, prompting violent clashes in Barcelona