Full Name: Archibald Alec Leach
Why Famous: Grant was on of the leading men of the classic Hollywood era, he was well known for his comic timing, demeanor, approach to acting and his transatlantic accent. Born in England, Grant became an American citizen in 1942.
His performances in comedy films such as The Awful Truth (1937), Bringing Up Baby (1938), His Girl Friday (1940) and The Philadelphia Story (1940), Grant established a reputation as one of the great comic actors of his era, and many of his works are considered some of the greatest in the genre.
Alfred Hitchcock once said Cary Grant was the only actor he loved working with, as the two established a rapport working on films such as To Catch a Thief (1955) and North by Northwest (1959). In the latter part of his career, Grant portrayed a series of highly successful and acclaimed roles as a leading man in romantic films. He retired from the film industry in 1966 to focus on raising his daughter.
- 1934-02-10 British-born actor "North by Northwest" Cary Grant (30) weds "City Lights" actress Virginia Cherrill (26)
- 1942-07-08 British born actor "His Girl Friday" Cary Grant (38) weds American heiress and socialite Barbara Hutton (29)
- 1949-12-25 British actor Cary Grant (45) weds actress Betsy Drake (26)
- 1938-02-16 "Bringing Up Baby" film directed by Howard Hawks, starring Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant, is released
- 1940-12-26 "The Philadelphia Story" film directed by George Cukor, based on the Broadway play of the same name, starring Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and James Stewart, is released (Academy Awards Best Actor 1941)
- 1959-07-17 "North by Northwest" directed by Alfred Hitchcock and starring Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint premieres in Los Angeles
- 1980-09-25 Chevy Chase calls Cary Grant a homo on Tomorrow show, a lawsuit follows