Profession: Empress of Russia
Why Famous: The most renowned and the longest-ruling female leader of Russia, reigning from 1762 until 1796. Her reign is known as Russia's golden age.
Russia was revitalized under her reign, growing larger and stronger than ever and became recognized as one of the great powers of Europe.
- 1745-08-21 Future Russian Tsar Peter III marries Ekaterina Alexeievna later Catherine II (Catherine the Great)
- 1762-06-29 Russian Tsar Peter III divorces his wife Catherine II
- 1762-06-28 Russian Tsarina Catherine II seizes power, declaring herself sovereign ruler of Russia
- 1762-07-17 Catherine II becomes tsarina of Russia following the murder of Peter III
- 1763-09-01 Catherine II of Russia endorses Ivan Betskoy's plans for a Foundling Home in Moscow
- 1783-04-08 Catherine II of Russia annexes the Crimea
- 1785-04-21 Catherine II of Russia confers on the nobility the "Charter to the Nobility", increasing further the power of the landed oligarchs
- 1794-06-23 Russian Empress Catherine II (Catherine the Great) grants Jews permission to settle in Kiev