Profession: Holy Roman Emperor
Biography: Charlemagne united most of Western Europe for the first time since the Roman Empire, and spurred the Carolingian Renaissance. Sometimes called the 'Father of Europe'.
- 0768-10-09 Charlemagne and his brother Carloman I are crowned Kings of The Franks
- 0771-12-05 Charlemagne becomes the sole King of the Franks after the death of his brother Carloman
- 0774-04-06 Charles the Great (Charlemagne) confirmed the gift to the Pope of the territories belonging to Ravenna made by his father Pepin the Short at Quiercy-sur-Loire in 753
- 0778-08-15 Battle of Roncevaux Pass: Roland, commander of the rearguard of Charlemagne's army is defeated by the Basques
- 0794-06-01 Charles the Great (aka Charlemagne) opens general synod in Frankfurt
- 0800-11-23 Charlemagne arrives in Rome to investigate the alleged crimes of Pope Leo III
- 0800-12-01 Charlemagne judges the accusations against Pope Leo III in the Vatican.
- 0800-12-25 Pope Leo III crowns Charles the Great (Charlemagne), Roman Emperor