Why Famous: Invented and developed a process to vulcanize rubber in 1839.
Goodyear discovered the vulcanization process accidentally after five years of searching for a more stable rubber and stumbling upon the effectiveness of heating.
- 1824-08-03 Inventor Charles Goodyear (23) weds Clarissa Beecher
- 1837-06-17 Charles Goodyear obtains his 1st rubber patent
- 1844-06-15 Charles Goodyear patents the vulcanization of rubber
- Death of Charles Goodyear - NY Times
- The Charles Goodyear Story - The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company