Full Name: John Charles Carter
Why Famous: As a Hollywood star he appeared in 100 films over the course of 60 years. He is best known for his roles in "The Ten Commandments" (1956); "Ben-Hur", for which he won the Academy Award for Best Actor (1959), "El Cid" (1961), and "Planet of the Apes" (1968).
The starring roles gave the actor a grave, authoritative persona and embodied responsibility, individualism and masculinity; he rejected scripts that did not emphasize those virtues.
- 1944-03-17 Actor Charlton Heston weds Lydia Clarke
- 1952-01-10 "The Greatest Show on Earth", directed and produced by Cecil B. DeMille, starring James Stewart and Charlton Heston, premieres in New York (Best Picture 1953)
- 1956-10-05 "The Ten Commandments", directed by Cecil B. DeMille, starring Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner opens in the US
- 1959-11-18 "Ben-Hur" directed by William Wyler and starring Charlton Heston premieres in New York City (Academy Awards Best Picture 1960)
- 1960-04-04 32nd Academy Awards: "Ben-Hur", Charlton Heston & Simone Signoret win