Full Name: Cherilyn Sarkisian
Profession: Goddess of Pop
Biography: A hugely successful American entertainer, Cher is a pop singer, TV host, nightclub star and acclaimed actress.
Cher met and married her husband Sonny Bono while still a teenager. The couple formed a singing act and released their first big hit "I Got You Babe" in 1964. Other hits then followed. The couple went on to host "The Sonny and Cher Variety Comedy Hour" show in 1971 and a later show, despite their eventual divorce.
Cher's successful nightclub act turned into an equally successful solo recording career and she has released a series of albums since the 1980s. In 1998 she won a Grammy award for her dance hit "Believe". Her 326-date "Farewell Tour" (2002-05) was one of the highest-grossing concert tours of all time, seen by over 3.5 million people and earning $250 million. Her retirement from music lasted about 3 years, before a 200 show residency at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.
Cher is also a critically acclaimed actress, appearing on Broadway and in films. She was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for “Silkwood” (1983), opposite Meryl Streep, and won Best Actress for "Moonstruck" with Nicholas Cage in 1988.
Her pop music and acting careers merged in 2018 with her pivotal appearance in the ABBA inspired musical film sequel "Mamma Mia - Here We Go Again!", which was followed by a full album of ABBA covers and concert tour.
She is an Emmy, Grammy, and Oscar Award winner.
- 1964-10-27 American singers Sonny Bono (29) & Cher (18) wed, Cher wore bell-bottoms
- 1974-02-20 American singer and actress Cher (27) files for separation from husband singer-songwriter Sonny Bono (38)
- 1975-06-26 American singer and actress Cher (28) divorces singer-songwriter Sonny Bono (40)
- 1975-06-30 American singer and actress Cher (28), weds American blues-rcoker Gregg Allman (27), 4 days after her divorce from Sonny Bono is finalized; divorce 1979
- 1975-07-10 American singer and actress Cher (28) files for divorce from musician Gregg Allman (27), 10 days after their marriage - they reconcile, but separate in 1977 and divorce in 1979
- 1965-06-12 Sonny and Cher make their 1st TV appearance on "American Bandstand"
- 1965-08-14 Sonny & Cher's single "I Got You Babe" hits #1
- 1967-01-14 Sonny & Cher release single "Beat Goes On"
- 1968-08-03 100,000 attend two-day Newport Pop Festival in Costa Mesa, California; performers included Alice Cooper, Canned Heat, The Chambers Brothers, Country Joe and the Fish, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Sonny & Cher, Steppenwolf, Tiny Tim, The Animals, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and The Byrds
- 1971-08-01 "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour" debuts on CBS-TV, with comic actor and singer Jimmy Durante as guest
- 1976-02-01 Sonny & Cher resume TV show, despite real-life divorce
- 1986-05-22 American singer and actress Cher calls David Letterman an a**hole on his "Late Night" TV program (NBC)
- 1987-11-13 Sonny & Cher perform together for the final time, singing "I Got You Babe" on 'Late Night with David Letterman' (NBC)
- 1988-04-11 60th Academy Awards: "The Last Emperor", Michael Douglas & Cher win
- 1988-06-11 "We All Sleep Alone" by Cher peaks at #14
- 1999-10-19 Cher releases "Believe" single (Billboard Song of the Year, 1999; Grammy Award Best Dance Recording, 2000)
- 2018-09-28 Warner Bros. Records releases American singer Cher's 26th solo studio album "Dancing Queen"; album contains cover versions of 11 songs of Swedish pop group ABBA, and lands in top 10 of charts in 19 countries