Profession: US Admiral
Biography: Fleet Admiral of the United States Navy. Played a major role in the Naval history of World War II as Commander in Chief, United States Pacific Fleet, for U.S. naval forces and Commander in Chief, Pacific Ocean Areas, for U.S. and Allied air, land, and sea forces during World War II.
- 1913-04-09 US Admiral Chester Nimitz (28) weds Catherine Freeman (21) in Wollaston, Massachusetts
- 1942-06-07 Battle of Midway ends: Admiral Chester Nimitz wins 1st World War II naval defeat of Japan
- 1942-09-14 US Navy Admiral Chester Nimitz presents the 1st Medal of Honor of WWII, for courage and valor beyond the call of duty during the attack on Pearl Harbor, to sailor John William Finn; ceremony took place in Pearl Harbor aboard USS Enterprise
- 1942-09-30 Admiral Chester Nimitz's B-17 finds Guadalcanal using a National Geographic map
- 1943-07-20 US Joint Chiefs of Staff question Admiral Chester Nimitz over the landing on Gilbert Island
- 1945-01-03 Admiral Chester Nimitz begins planning assaults on Okinawa and Iwo Jima in Japan