Profession: Chinese Military and Political Leader
Why Famous: A dominant figure in Chinese politics Chiang Kai-shek was the Leader of the Republic of China and Taiwan.
Rising through the military, Chiang became head of the Chinese Nationalist party (Kuomintang) in 1925 after the death of Sun Yat-sen. In 1926 Chiang led the Northern Expedition reuniting much of China by 1928 and heading up a nationalist government at Nanking.
Chiang fought internal battles against the communists before Japan invaded China during the Sino-Japanese War. After Japan's defeat in WWII civil war Chiang led a civil war against the communists.
By 1949 Chiang had been pushed out of China to Taiwan where he continued to rule at the head of a Nationalist government until his death in 1975.
- 1927-12-01 Chinese political and military leader Chiang Kai-shek (40) weds Soong Mei-ling (28) in Shanghai
- 1926-05-17 Chiang Kai-shek is made supreme warlord in Canton
- 1926-05-22 Chiang Kai-shek replaces communists in Guomindang China
- 1926-07-09 Chiang Kai-shek appointed to national-revolutionary supreme commander in China
- 1927-04-12 Kuomintang leader Chiang Kai-shek begins counter revolution in Shanghai
- 1927-04-18 Chiang Kai-Shek forms anti-government in China
- 1928-04-01 Chiang Kai-shek's army crosses Yang-tse
- 1928-09-28 US acknowledge Chinese government of Chiang Kai-shek
- 1928-10-10 Chiang Kai-shek becomes Director of the State Council of China
- 1929-05-19 Chinese warlord Feng Yuxiang declares war on Chiang Kai-Shek's nationalist government
- 1931-12-28 Lin-Sen succeeds Chiang Kai-shek as President of Nanjing-China
- 1936-12-12 Chinese leader Chiang Kai-shek declares war on Japan
- 1941-01-07 Chinese Kuomintang forces under orders from Chiang Kai-Shek open fire on the surrounded Communist New Fourth Army at Maolin, Anhui Province, killing or capturing 7,000 troops
- 1941-01-17 Chiang Kai-Shek disbands the Communist New Fourth Army after the New Fourth Army incident at Maolin, Anhui Province between the nationalist and communist armies leaves many dead
- 1941-01-20 Chinese Communist leaders re-organize the New Fourth Army in defiance of Nationalist leader Chiang Kai-shek's order for it to be disbanded
- 1943-09-01 Chiang Kai-shek again becomes Chairman of the Nationalist Government of China
- 1943-11-22 FDR, Churchill and Chiang Kai-shek meet to discuss ways to defeat Japan
- 1945-10-11 Chinese civil war begins between Kuomintang government led by Chiang Kai-Shek and Mao Zedong's Communist Party
- 1945-10-25 Japanese surrender Taiwan to General Chiang Kai-shek
- 1947-02-28 February 28 Massacre: Anti-government uprising in Taiwan is violently put down by Chiang Kai-shek and his Kuomintang-led Republic of China government with the loss of 18,000-28,000 lives. Marks the beginning of the White Terror.
- 1947-03-19 Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek conquers Jenan
- 1948-04-19 Chiang Kai-shek elected President of Nationalist China
- 1949-12-07 Chiang Kai-shek flees to Taiwan
- 1950-02-27 General Chiang Kai-shek elected president of Nationalist China
- 1950-03-01 Chiang Kai-shek resumed the presidency of National China on Taiwan
- 1950-05-08 Chiang Kai-shek asks US for weapons
- 1954-05-20 Chiang Kai-shek becomes president of Nationalist China