Biography: Chrissie Hynde is a founding member and driving force of rock band The Pretenders.
Hynde moved to London in 1973 and worked for Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren's famous punk SEX shop. After attempts to form a band she formed The Pretenders in 1978 recruiting Pete Farndon, Martin Chambers and James Honeyman-Scott.
The Pretenders released their first single in 1979 and had their first UK no. 1 with "Brass In Pocket" in 1980 from their debut self-titled album, which became a worldwide commercial and critical success. Over the years band members have changed but Hynde has remained the only constant member.
Hynde has collaborated with a number of other artists, perhaps the most well-known is her single with the band UB40 "I Got You Babe" a No. 1 hit in the UK.
- 1984-05-05 American rock singer-songwriter Chrissie Hynde (32) weds Scottish 'Simple Minds' singer Jim Kerr (25), in a horse-drawn carriage in New York City; divorce in 1990
- 1997-07-10 American rock musician Chrissie Hynde (45) marries Columbian artist Lucho Brieva; divorced in 2002
- 1979-12-27 Sire Records releases "Pretenders", the debut album of The Pretenders, in US
- 1980-01-07 Real Records releases "Pretenders", the debut album of The Pretenders, in UK
- 2005-03-14 20th Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees: Buddy Guy; The O'Jays; The Pretenders; Percy Sledge; U2; Frank Barsalona; and Seymour Stein
- 2008-09-20 Farm Aid 21 held in Mansfield, Massachusetts; performers include Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Neil Young, Dave Matthews, Jerry Lee Lewis, Kenny Chesney, The Pretenders, moe., Arlo Guthrie, Steve Earle, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Jakob Dylan and The Gold Mountain Rebels
- Past Farm Aid Concerts & Festivals - Farm Aid