Profession: Ice Dancer
Biography: Christopher Dean was one half of the British ice dancing team with Jayne Torvill that won Olympic gold in 1984 and is credited with popularizing and revolutionizing the sport.
Dean was a police officer before devoting himself solely to ice dancing. His career reached its peak at the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo where in their free program they performed their now famous routine to the music of Maurice Ravel's Boléro.
After the Olympics they turned profession, but were allowed to compete, under new rules, at the 1994 Winter Olympics where they won the bronze medal.
Born: July 27, 1958
Birthplace: Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England, United Kingdom
Age: 64 years old
Generation: Baby Boomer
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Star Sign: Leo
Articles and Photos
Just Perfect! Torvill And Dean Skate To GloryIce skater Christopher Dean was born on this day. With his partner Jayne Torvill he would create Olympic history by achieving never to be beaten perfect scores.
July 27, 1958
- 1981-03-05 Ice Dance Championship at Hartford won by Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean (GRB)
- 1982-03-13 Ice Dance Championship at Copenhagen won by Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean (GBR)
- 1983-03-11 Ice Dance Championship at Helsinki, Finland won by Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean (Great Britain)
- 1984-02-14 Britain's Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean famously dominate the ice dancing at the Sarajevo Winter Olympics; perform to Maurice Ravel's "Bolero" in free dance routine; record 9-of-9 perfect scores for artistic impression
- 1984-03-23 World Ice Dancing Championship won by Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean (GRB) in Ottawa, Canada