Why Famous: Chubby Checker will forever be remembered for kicking off a dance craze that took hold of the early countercultural generation in the 1960s. In 1960 he released "The Twist", a cover of a song by Hank Ballard & The Midnighters.
Checker's song topped the Billboard Hot 100 twice, and kicked off the Twist dance craze, which spread around the world. He would repeat the success - though not on the same level - with the song "Pony Time" in 1961.
"The Twist" was voted the most popular song in the history of the Billboard 100 in 2008, and it again had that honor in 2013.
- 1959-06-22 "Class" the first hit by Chubby Checker peaks at #38 in the US
- 1960-07-15 Chubby Checker releases his version of "The Twist" in the US (date approximate)
- 1960-08-06 Chubby Checker performs his version of "The Twist" on "The Dick Clark Show" starting a worldwide dance craze
- 1960-09-19 Chubby Checker's "The Twist" hits #1 on the Billboard Hot 100
- 1962-01-13 Chubby Checker's song "The Twist", credited with starting the Twist dance craze, goes to #1 in the charts two years after first reaching number one spot
- 1962-01-26 Bishop Burke of Buffalo Catholic dioceses declares Chubby Checker's "The Twist" to be impure and bans it from all Catholic schools
- 1970-06-23 Rocker and singer Chubby Checker arrested for marijuana possession