Why Famous: Best known for developing a process for freezing foods in small packages suitable for retailing, Birdseye revolutionised the modern frozen food industry.
Working for the U.S. Biological Survey as a field naturalist, Birdseye got the idea when visiting the Arctic. Birdseye noted that when frozen fish was thawed much later, it later retained most of its freshness.
As a skilled businessman he co-founded a company, General Seafood Corporation in 1924, which started the entire frozen food industry.
In the 1930s he patented a new food dehydration process, which he began marketing in 1946.
- 1930-08-12 Clarence Birdseye is granted a patent for method for quick freezing food (patent US 1773079 A)
- 1952-10-30 Clarence Birdseye sells first frozen peas
- 1952-11-03 Clarence Birdseye markets frozen peas
- Clarence Birdseye And His Fantastic Frozen Food Machine - NPR
- Clarence Birdseye, the Man Behind Modern Frozen Food Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts- - Smithsonian