Why Famous: Regarded as "The King of Hollywood". He was a leading man in more than 60 motion pictures over three decades. He was arguably best known for his role as Rhett Butler in the epic "Gone with the Wind" and is considered one of the most consistent box-office performers in history.
- 1949-12-20 "Gone with the Wind" actor Clark Gable (48) weds socialite Sylvia Ashley (45)
- 1955-07-11 "Gone with the Wind" actor Clark Gable (54) weds former fashion model and actress Kay Spreckles
- 1934-02-22 "It Happened One Night" directed by Frank Capra and starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert opens at NY's Radio City Music Hall (Academy Awards Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay 1935)
- 1935-02-27 7th Academy Awards: "It Happened One Night", Clark Gable & Claudette Colbert win
- 1935-11-08 "Mutiny on the Bounty" directed by Frank Lloyd and starring Charles Laughton and Clark Gable premieres in New York (Best Production/Picture 1936)
- 1939-12-15 "Gone With the Wind", drama film directed by Victor Fleming and starring Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh, premieres in Atlanta (Best Picture 1940, inflation not adjusted highest-grossing film of all time)