Full Name: William Clark Gable
Why Famous: Regarded as "The King of Hollywood". Clarke Gable was the leading man in more than 60 motion pictures over three decades. Gable was considered one of the most consistent box-office performers in history.
Gable won an Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in Frank Capra's "It Happened One Night" and was nominated twice more. He is arguably best known today for his role now as Rhett Butler in the epic "Gone with the Wind" opposite Vivian Leigh.
- 1939-03-29 "Gone with the Wind" actor Clark Gable (37) weds actress Carole Lombard (30) at the rectory of Saint John's Methodist Episcopal Church in Kingman, Arizona
- 1949-12-20 "Gone with the Wind" actor Clark Gable (48) weds socialite Sylvia Ashley (45)
- 1952-04-21 American actor Clark Gable (50) and socialite Sylvia Ashley (47) divorce
- 1955-07-11 "Gone with the Wind" actor Clark Gable (54) weds former fashion model and actress Kay Williams Spreckles (38)
- 1932-10-22 Film "Red Dust" directed by Victor Fleming, starring Clark Gable, Jean Harlow and Mary Astor premieres
- 1934-02-22 "It Happened One Night" directed by Frank Capra and starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert opens at NY's Radio City Music Hall (Academy Awards Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay 1935)
- 1935-02-27 7th Academy Awards: "It Happened One Night", Clark Gable, and Claudette Colbert win
- 1935-11-08 "Mutiny on the Bounty" directed by Frank Lloyd and starring Charles Laughton and Clark Gable premieres in New York (Best Production/Picture 1936)
- 1939-12-15 "Gone With the Wind", drama film directed by Victor Fleming and starring Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh, premieres in Atlanta (Best Picture 1940, inflation not adjusted highest-grossing film of all time)