Profession: British Prime Minister
Why Famous: Attlee served as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1945 to 1951, and as the Leader of the Labour Party from 1935 to 1955. He came into office months after the end of World War II in Europe after an unexpected landslide victory forced Winston Churchill from office.
His government build the post-war consensus that was to be maintained for three decades. At home his government established the welfare state, created the National Health Service and undertook the nationalization of major public utilities. He also oversaw the independence of Burma and Sri Lanka, and oversaw the partition of India in 1947. He also sent British troops to fight in the Korean War.
Attlee is widely regarded as one of the greatest British prime ministers, laying the foundations for much of the modern British state and political environment.
- 1945-07-05 Labour Party under Clement Attlee wins British parliamentary elections (results not declared until 26 July)
- 1945-07-26 After Labour landslide in general election, Clement Attlee becomes British Prime Minister
- 1946-03-15 British Prime Minister Clement Attlee agrees with India's right to independence
- 1947-07-10 Muhammad Ali Jinnah is recommended as the first Governor General of Pakistan by then Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Clement Attlee
- 1955-11-25 Clement Attlee resigns as leader of the UK Labour Party