Why Famous: Cliff Richard was Britain's answer to the invasion of rock'n'roll from the USA in the 1950s. Richard is the third-top-selling singles artist in the United Kingdom's history.
Over the years Richards musical style has changed from an early edgy rock n roll sound to a more mellower middle of the road one.
Richard has had 14 British No. 1 singles over 5 decades and sold over 250 million records worldwide.
Richards is know to be a confirmed bachelor and for his seemingly perennial youth.
- 1958-08-29 Cliff Richard and the Drifters release single "Move It", Richards debut single. Credited as 1st British Rock n Roll song.
- 1959-07-31 Cliff Richard and the Drifters have their 1st No. 1 British single with "Living' Doll" (biggest British single of 1959)
- 1961-12-13 "The Young Ones" directed by Sidney J. Furie, starring Cliff Richard, Robert Morley and Carole Gray premieres in London
- 1986-03-08 The Young Ones and Cliff Richard release new version of single "Living Doll" for Comic Relief charity
- 1995-10-25 Singer Cliff Richard receives his knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II, - 1st rock star to be knighted