Biography: Daniel Craig was an English stage and screen actor before landing the role of James Bond in 2005. He initially trained at London's Guildhall School of Arts, graduating in 1991. He then worked consistently, appearing in the TV series "Our Friends in the North" alongside Christopher Eccleston, and in the film "Elizabeth" (1998) starring Cate Blanchett. His international breakthrough came playing Angelina Jolie's love interest in "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" (2001) before going on to appear in Sam Mendes "Road to Perdition" (2002) as an Irish gangster. A role in Steven Spielberg's "Munich" (2005) followed.
When Craig took over the role of Bond from Pierce Brosnan in October 2005 there was initially much public misgivings about his casting. However since his first appearance in "Casino Royale" (2006) he has gained considerable critical acclaim for his performance in particular for the emotional depth he has brought to the character.
Craig is the first actor to be younger than the film series itself, and the first to be cast since the death of the character's creator Peter Fleming. Craig is now the longest-serving actor to play James Bond, having starred in five Bond films. "No Time to Die" (2020) is Craig's final appearance in the role.
Outside of the Bond franchise, Craig has also appeared on stage and in a number of high profile films including "The Golden Compass" (2007) and "Knives Out" (2019)
In 2011 he married for the second time, to actress Rachel Weisz.
- 2011-06-22 British actor best known as British secret agent "James Bond" Daniel Craig (43) weds film and theatre actress Rachel Weisz (41) at a private ceremony in New York
- 2006-11-14 "Casino Royale", 21st James Bond film premieres in London, starring Daniel Craig for the 1st time and Eva Green, premieres in London
- 2008-10-29 "Quantum of Solace" 22nd James Bond film starring Daniel Craig and Olga Kurylenko, premieres in London
- 2009-12-06 Final Broadway performance of "A Steady Rain", starring Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig
- 2012-10-23 "Skyfall", 23rd James Bond film, directed by Sam Mendes and starring Daniel Craig and Javier Bardem premieres in London
- 2015-10-26 "Spectre", 24th James Bond film, directed by Sam Mendes and starring Daniel Craig premieres in London
- 2017-08-15 Daniel Craig confirms he will play James Bond one more time
- 2021-09-28 James Bond film "No Time To Die", the last starring Daniel Craig, premieres after an 18 month delay due to the pandemic