Why Famous: Regarded by many as the greatest actor of all time, Day-Lewis holds the record for being only male actor in history to have three wins in the lead actor category and one of only three male actors to win three Oscars.
He first came to prominence for his role in "My Left Foot" (1989) for which he won his first Oscar. He would later be nominated for his roles in "In the Name of the Father" (1993) and "Gangs of New York" (2002), as well as appearing in "The Last of the Mohicans" (1992). He won his second Oscar for "There Will Be Blood" (2007) and his record third for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln in "Lincoln" (2012).
Day-Lewis is known for his method acting and his intense preparation for roles, often staying completely in character for months on end, even to the point of adversely affecting his health. Following his performance in Paul Thomas Anderson's film "Phantom Thread" (2017), for which he was nominated for another Academy Award for Best Actor, Day-Lewis announced his retirement from acting.
- 1996-11-13 "A Room With A View" actor Daniel Day-Lewis (39) weds "Personal Velocity: Three Portraits" screenwriter Rebecca Miller (34) in Vermont
- 1990-03-26 62nd Academy Awards: "Driving Miss Daisy", Daniel Day-Lewis, Jessica Tandy win
- 2002-12-20 "Gangs of New York", starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis, and Cameron Diaz, is released
- 2008-01-13 65th Golden Globes (announced): Atonement, Daniel Day-Lewis, & Julie Christie win
- 2008-02-24 80th Academy Awards: "No Country for Old Men", Daniel Day-Lewis & Marion Cotillard win
- 2013-01-13 70th Golden Globes: Argo, Daniel Day-Lewis, & Jessica Chastain win
- 2013-02-10 66th British Academy Awards:" Argo", Ben Affleck, Daniel Day-Lewis and Emmanuelle Riva win
- 2013-02-24 85th Academy Awards: "Argo", Daniel Day-Lewis & Jennifer Lawrence win
- 2017-06-20 British actor Daniel Day-Lewis announces his retirement from acting