Full Name: Darrell Lee Waltrip
Profession: Racing Car Driver
Biography: Darrell Waltrip is one of the best NASCAR drivers in motor sports history.
He drove most notably the No. 17 Chevrolet for Hendrick Motorsports 1972-2000 in the former NASCAR Winston Cup Series, now called the NASCAR Cup Series and was a three-time Cup Series champion 1981, 1982, 1985.
Waltrip posted a modern NASCAR series record of 22 top five finishes in 1983 and 21 top five finishes both in 1981 and 1986.
He won 84 NASCAR Cup Series races, including the 1989 Daytona 500, and a record 5 in the Coca-Cola 600 (formerly the World 600) in 1978, 1979, 1985, 1988, 1989.
Before becoming a color analyst and columnist for Fox Sports, Waltrip scored two "NASCAR Most Popular Driver" awards 1989, 1990); three "American Driver of the Year" awards 1979, 1981, 1982; "NASCAR's Driver of the Decade" for the 1980s; as well as the "National Motorsports Press Association Driver of the Year" 1977, 1981 and 1982.
Born: February 5, 1947
Birthplace: Owensboro, Kentucky, USA
Age: 76 years old
Generation: Baby Boomer
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Star Sign: Aquarius
- 1976-02-29 American driver Richard Petty wins the only Winston Cup race run on Leap Day, taking the Carolina 500 at Rockingham by 2 laps over Darrell Waltrip
- 1981-11-01 Darrell Waltrip wins his 4th straight NASCAR Cup race, the American 500 at North Carolina Motor Speedway; ties Richard Petty record 1967; 12th win of season; goes on to win Winston Cup crown
- 1981-11-22 31st NASCAR Sprint Cup: Darrell Waltrip wins
- 1982-11-21 32nd NASCAR Sprint Cup: Darrell Waltrip wins
- 1984-02-19 26th Daytona 500: Cale Yarborough wins for 2nd consecutive year and 4th time in career; last-lap pass to beat Darrell Waltrip
- 1985-11-17 35th NASCAR Sprint Cup: Darrell Waltrip wins
- 1989-02-19 31st Daytona 500: Darrell Waltrip wins when Hendrick Racing team decides to use fuel strategy, being the only car not to pit in the closing laps
Biographies and Sources
- Darrell Waltrip, Stock Cars, Class of 2003 - Motorsports Hall of Fame of America