Why Famous: One of the most popular musicians for over five decades, Bowie sold over 140 million records worldwide and was inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In his career he released eleven number-one albums.
Bowie began his career in 1963, and in 1969 released the song "Space Oddity". Following this he became associated with the glam rock era of the 1970s, adopting his persona Ziggy Stardust and releasing several influential albums, including The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. In 1975 he moved into a genre he termed 'plastic soul', releasing the acclaimed albums Station to Station, Low and Heroes.
In the 1980s he reached his peak commercial success, with "Let's Dance", a transatlantic number one hit from 1983 and his collaboration with Queen, "Under Pressure", becoming a number one in the UK in 1981. In 2013, he returned from a decade-long recording hiatus and released The Next Day, and in 2016 released Blackstar, before dying of liver cancer two days after its release.
- 1970-03-20 Singer David Bowie (23) weds model Angie Bowie (20) at Bromley Register Office in Beckenham Lane, London
- 1980-02-08 Model Angie Bowie (30) divorces singer David Bowie (33) after 9 years of marriage
- 1992-04-24 Rock star David Bowie (45) weds supermodel Iman (37) in Switzerland
- 1964-06-05 Davie Jones & King Bees debut "I Can't Help Thinking About Me"; group disbands but Davie Jones goes on to success as David Bowie
- 1966-01-14 David Bowie releases his 1st single "Can't Help Thinking About Me"
- 1969-07-11 David Bowie releases the single "Space Oddity" 9 days before Apollo 11 lands on the moon
- 1972-06-06 David Bowie releases "Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust"
- 1972-09-28 David Bowie sells out his 1st show in NY Carnegie Hall
- 1974-07-19 David Bowie's "Diamond Dog" tour ends in NYC
- 1975-07-25 David Bowie releases "Fame"
- 1975-09-20 David Bowie's "Fame," single goes #1 for 2 weeks
- 1977-08-29 Iggy Pop releases his second album "Lust for Life", a collaboration with David Bowie
- 1980-07-19 David Bowie appears in role of "Elephant Man" in Denver
- 1983-05-21 David Bowie's "Let's Dance" single goes #1
- 1984-12-04 6th ACE Cable Awards: David Bowie: Serious Moonlight by Anthony Eaton and HBO
- 2014-02-19 BRIT Awards: David Bowie, Ellie Goulding and Arctic Monkeys win