Why Famous: One of the most popular musicians for over five decades, Bowie sold over 140 million records worldwide and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In his career he released eleven number-one albums.
Bowie began his career in 1963, and in 1969 released the song "Space Oddity". Following this he became associated with the glam rock era of the 1970s, adopting his persona Ziggy Stardust and releasing several influential albums, including The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. In 1975 he moved into a genre he termed 'plastic soul', releasing the acclaimed albums Station to Station, Low and Heroes.
In the 1980s he reached his peak commercial success, with "Let's Dance", a transatlantic number one hit from 1983 and his collaboration with Queen, "Under Pressure", becoming a number one in the UK in 1981. In 2013, he returned from a decade-long recording hiatus and released The Next Day, and in 2016 released Blackstar, before dying of liver cancer two days after its release.
- 1970-03-20 Singer David Bowie (23) weds model Angie Barnett, (20) at Bromley Register Office in Beckenham Lane, London; (divorce in 1980)
- 1980-02-08 Model Angie Bowie (30) divorces singer David Bowie (33) after just under 10 years of marriage
- 1992-04-24 Rock star David Bowie (45) weds supermodel Iman (37) in Lausanne, Switzerland
- 1964-06-05 Davie Jones & King Bees release debut single "I Can't Help Thinking About Me"; group disbands but Davie Jones goes on to success as David Bowie
- 1966-01-14 David Bowie releases his 1st single "Can't Help Thinking About Me"
- 1969-07-11 David Bowie releases the single "Space Oddity" 9 days before Apollo 11 lands on the moon
- 1972-06-06 David Bowie releases his breakthrough album "The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars"
- 1972-09-28 David Bowie sells out his 1st show in NY Carnegie Hall
- 1974-07-19 David Bowie's "Diamond Dog" tour ends in NYC
- 1975-03-07 RCA releases "Young Americans", David Bowie's 9th studio album, recorded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and New York City; featuring appearances by John Lennon on two tracks, it peaks in the U.S. charts at No. 9, and No. 2 in the U.K.
- 1975-07-25 David Bowie releases "Fame"
- 1975-09-20 David Bowie's "Fame," single goes #1 for 2 weeks
- 1976-01-23 RCA releases "Station to Station", David Bowie's 10th studio album, recorded in Los Angeles; it peaks in the U.S. charts at No.3, and No. 5 in the U.K.
- 1977-01-14 RCA releases David Bowie's 11th studio album, "Low"
- 1977-08-29 Iggy Pop releases his second album "Lust for Life", a collaboration with David Bowie
- 1980-07-19 David Bowie appears in role of "Elephant Man" in Denver, Colorado
- 1983-05-21 David Bowie's "Let's Dance" single goes #1
- 1984-12-04 6th ACE Cable Awards: David Bowie: Serious Moonlight by Anthony Eaton and HBO
- 2014-02-19 BRIT Awards: David Bowie, Ellie Goulding and Arctic Monkeys win