Profession: Singer-songwriter and Producer
Why Famous: David Gilmour has been a member of the British progressive rock band Pink Floyd since 1968. Pink Floyd are one of the world's most successful bands, selling over 250 million records worldwide, including their influential conceptual albums "Dark Side of the Moon" (1973) and "The Wall" (1979).
Gilmour has also had a successful solo career as a musician and as a producer.
- 1975-07-07 Pink Floyd musician David Gilmour marries model and artist Virginia Hasenbein
- 1994-07-29 Pink Floyd musician David Gilmour marries 2nd wife writer Polly Samson
- 1967-05-12 1st quadraphonic concert by Pink Floyd at the Games for May concert in London
- 1967-08-04 Pink Floyd releases their first album "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn", their only record made under the leadership of Syd Barrett.
- 1968-02-18 David Gilmour joins rock group Pink Floyd
- 1973-03-01 Pink Floyd release their album "Dark Side of the Moon", since sold over 45 million copies
- 1975-07-05 At Knebworth Festival in England, Pink Floyd debut their album "Wish You Were Here" with pyrotechnics and an exploding plane which flies into the stage
- 1975-09-12 Pink Floyd releases their ninth album "Wish You Were Here"
- 1975-09-25 Pink Floyd's concept album "Wish You Were Here" reaches No. 1 in the US, goes on to sell 13 million copies
- 1979-02-07 Pink Floyd premiere their live version of "The Wall" in Los Angeles
- 1979-11-30 Pink Floyd's "The Wall" released, sells 6 million copies in 2 weeks
- 1980-01-18 Pink Floyd's album "The Wall" hits #1
- 1980-05-02 Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in Wall (Part II)" is banned in South Africa
- 1982-02-13 Pink Floyd's album "Dark Side of the Moon" marks 402 weeks in the album charts
- 1990-07-21 Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is performed where the Berlin Wall once stood
- 1994-10-29 Pink Floyd finishes their final concert tour at Earls Court in London
- 2006-08-26 David Gilmour performs with his band and the Polish Baltic Philharmonic Orchestra before a crowd of 50,000 at Gdańsk Shipyard in Poland.