Profession: Cricket Batsman and Captain
Why Famous: David Gower was one of the most capped English cricketers of his era. A Left-handed batsman, known for his graceful style, he appearing in 117 Tests, scoring 8,231 runs. He also played in 114 one day internationals scoring 3170 runs.
Gower was captain of the English team in 1985 and led a successful Ashes campaign against Australia. He was replaced in 1986 after loses against the West Indies. Gower retired from international cricket in 1993.
- 1978-06-01 Future England cricket captain David Gower makes his Test debut in 1st Test against Pakistan in Birmingham; England win by an innings and 57 runs
- 1979-07-17 David Gower 200* in England score of 5-633 v India at Edgbaston
- 1983-08-01 Despite brave 112no by David Gower, New Zealand wins 2nd Test at Headingley by 5 wickets, first ever NZ Test cricket victory in England
- 1985-08-02 England captain David Gower scores his 5,000th run in Test cricket during the drawn 4th Test v Australia at Old Trafford
- 1992-08-09 Last day of Test Cricket for David Gower