Why Famous: Martin, who in 1946 broke into the limelight alongside Jerry Lewis in 'Martin & Lewis,' has been a leading name among 20th century American entertainers—during which he was nicknamed, 'The King of Cool.'
He is also an established singer, who was for a while one of the most popular acts in Las Vegas. Martin, together with Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr., was part of the 'Rat Pack'—a star-studded set of Vegas performers.
He was also host of 'The Dean Martin Show,' a variety show in which he further demonstrated his musical and comedic talents.
- 1946-07-25 At Club 500 in Atlantic City, New Jersey, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis stage their first show as a comedy team
- 1949-09-28 "My Friend Irma" is 1st of 16 films starring Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis
- 1956-06-19 Jerry Lewis & Dean Martin end partnership after 10 years, and 16 films
- 1966-06-16 Rowan & Martin host "The Dean Martin Show" Summer Series, on NBC-TV
- 1970-03-05 "Airport" based on the book by Arthur Hailey, directed by George Seaton and starring Burt Lancaster and Dean Martin is released
- 1974-05-24 "The Dean Martin Show" last airs on NBC-TV
- 1976-09-06 Jerry Lewis' 11th Muscular Dystrophy telethon, Dean Martin appears