Profession: Princess of Wales
Why Famous: Diana was the wife of Prince Charles from 1981 until their divorce in 1996. Their relationship and eventual break-up drew enormous media scrutiny from around the globe. The object of worldwide press attention during and after her marriage, Diana became a media sensation.
During her life she was a supporter of many charitable causes, notably land-mine clearance, AIDS, and Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital.
On 31 August 1997 she died in a car crash in Paris. Global attention and mourning was extensive, and 2 billion people tuned in to her funeral on 6 September.
- 1981-07-29 His Royal Highness Charles, Prince of Wales weds Lady Diana Spencer at St Paul's Cathedral, London
- 1996-07-15 Prince Charles and Princess Diana sign divorce papers
- 1981-02-24 Britain's Prince Charles announces engagement to Lady Diana Spencer
- 1982-06-22 Prince Charles and Princess Diana take new-born son Prince William home from hospital
- 1982-06-28 Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales, name their baby "William"
- 1989-02-01 Diana, Princess of Wales visits New York City
- 1995-11-20 Princess Diana admits she cheated on Prince Charles in a TV interview
- 1997-01-15 Diana, Princess of Wales, calls for an international ban on landmines, angering ministers in the UK
- 1997-08-31 Diana, Princess of Wales, dies in a car crash in a road tunnel in Paris
- 1997-09-06 Funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales held at Westminster Abbey in London
- 1997-09-13 Elton John releases "Candle in the Wind 1997", a tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales in the UK
- 1997-09-22 Elton John releases "Candle in the Wind 1997", a tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales in the US
- 1998-02-03 Stamps commemorating Diana, Princess of Wales, go on sale in Britain