Why Famous: Diego Rivera was the leading painter in the Mexican "Muralist Movement". His major works include "Man, Controller of the Universe", "Detroit Industry" and "En el Arsenal".
Rivera's art reflected his strong political views, he became a member of the Mexican Communist Party till his expulsion in 1929. Rivera traveled to Russia to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the Russian revolution and hosted Leon Trotsky in Mexico. Rivera's murals, done in fresco in public places for the people and reflect their historic and social concerns.
Diego was married twice to fellow Mexican painter Frida Kahlo and their relationship was famously tempestuous. Diego himself was a major influence on Kahlo's own artistic development
- 1929-08-21 Painter Diego Rivera (42) weds fellow artist Frida Kahlo (22)
- 1940-12-07 Mexican painters Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo remarry in San Francisco (divorced 1939)
- 1955-07-29 Mexican artist Diego Rivera (68) marries 4th wife art dealer Emma Hurtado
- 1925-04-26 Artist Diego Rivera resigns from the Mexican Communist Party
- 1931-12-22 Retrospective show of Mexican artist Diego Rivera opens at The Museum of Modern Art in New York
- 2018-05-10 New record auction price for a Latin American artwork of $9.76 million for Diego Rivera's "The Rivals"