Full Name: Edward Irving Koch
Profession: Congressman and Mayor of New York City
Biography: Koch was the long-time Mayor of New York City, from 1978 to 1989; prior to which he had been Congressman for New York from 1969 to 1977.
Koch was known during his time as Mayor for riding the subway and asking people he encountered on the street: "How'm I doin'?" While Koch first won the mayoralty with only 20% of the vote, he must have done something right as in 1981 he won with 75%; and in 1985, 78%.
During Koch's time as Mayor of New York, he clashed repeatedly with then-developer and future-president Donald Trump. Of Trump, Koch once said: "Donald Trump is one of the least likable people I have met during the 12 years that I served as mayor. It is incomprehensible to me that for some people he has become a folk hero."
Trump, for his part, called Koch a "moron" and credited him with turning New York into "a cesspool of corruption and of incompetence."
Born: December 12, 1924
Birthplace: NYC, New York, USA
Generation: Greatest Generation
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Star Sign: Sagittarius
Died: February 1, 2013 (aged 88)
Cause of Death: Heart failure
- 1977-11-08 Ed Koch is elected Mayor of New York City (his 1st term)
- 1980-11-12 NYC Mayor Ed Koch admits to trying marijuana
- 1981-07-26 New York Mayor Ed Koch is given the Heimlich maneuver in a Chinese restaurant
- 1983-12-31 Benjamin Ward appointed 1st African American NY City Police Commissioner by Mayor Ed Koch
- 1986-04-02 NYC Mayor Ed Koch signs & brings the Gay Rights Bill into effect