Full Name: Eduard Ambrosis dze Shevardnadze
Profession: President of Georgia and Soviet Diplomat
Biography: Shevardnadze was the de factor leader of Soviet Georgia from 1972 to 1985, as First Secretary of the Georgian Communist Party, and then Minister of Foreign Affairs for the Soviet Union from 1985 to 1991. This made him responsible for a number of key foreign policy decisions under Mikhail Gorbachev.
After the Soviet Union's collapse, Shevardnadze returned to Georgia and served there as President until the 2003 'Rose Revolution.' He had been accused of electoral fraud, and this was followed by public protests and demonstrations which forced his resignation.
Born: January 25, 1928
Birthplace: Mamati, Georgia, Soviet Union
Generation: Silent Generation
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Star Sign: Aquarius
- 1989-09-26 Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze calls for total destruction of Soviet & US chemical weapons
- 1990-12-20 Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze resigns
- 1998-02-09 Failed assassination attempt on Georgian President Eduard Shevardnadze
- 2003-11-22 In Tbilisi, Georgia, opponents of President Eduard Shevardnadze seize the parliament building and demand the president's resignation
- 2003-11-23 Georgian president Eduard Shevardnadze resigns following weeks of mass protests over flawed elections