Profession: Captain of the Titanic
Why Famous: Smith is most famous as the captain of the RMS Titanic during its ill-fated last voyage, when it hit an iceberg and sank on 15 April 1912.
Prior to his posting with White Star Lines, who owned the Titanic, Smith had a career in the Royal Navy. He joined White Star Lines when he received his master's ticket, and served as captain on many of their vessels.
When the Titanic sunk, Smith went down with the ship, reflecting the maritime practice of a captain who aids evacuation of all before evacuating himself. His resoluteness in the face of one of the worst maritime disasters in history became a symbol of the British 'stiff upper lip.'
- 1911-05-31 RMS Titanic launched in Belfast
- 1912-04-02 Titanic undergoes sea trials under its own power
- 1912-04-10 RMS Titanic sets sail from Southampton for her maiden (and final) voyage
- 1912-04-11 RMS Titanic leaves Queenstown, Ireland, for NY
- 1912-04-14 RMS Titanic hits an iceberg at 11.40pm off Newfoundland
- 1912-04-15 RMS Titanic sinks at 2:27 AM off Newfoundland as the band plays on, with the loss of between 1,490 and 1,635 people