Profession: Dictator and President of Guatemala
Why Famous: As dictator of Guatemala for 17 months during 1982 and 1982, Rios Montt was guilty of committing genocide and crimes against humanity against Guatemala's indigenous Mayan population.
His conviction for these crimes in 2013 marked the first time a former head of state has been prosecuted for genocide in a national, as opposed to an international, court.
His 80 year sentence was soon over turned. His 2015 retrial was ongoing at the time of his death in 2018.
- 1982-03-23 Guatemala military coup under General Efraín Rios Montt, President Romeo Lucas flees
- 1982-06-09 General Efraín Rios Montt declares himself President of Guatemala
- 1983-08-08 Military coup in Guatemala, Dictator and former General Efraín Rios Montt flees
- "“If you are with us, we will feed you,” he told Guatemalan peasants. “If not, we will kill you.”" - Beans and Bullets
- Background: Efrain Rios Montt & Mauricio Rodriguez Sanchez - International Justice Monitor
- Efraín Ríos Montt, Guatemalan Dictator Convicted of Genocide, Dies at 91 - NY Times
- Ex-Guatemalan dictator Rios Montt dies, leaving bitter legacy - Reuters