Full Name: Joaquín Archivaldo Guzmán Loera
Profession: Drug Lord
Why Famous: Mexican drug lord who heads the Sinaloa Cartel, a criminal organization named after the Mexican Pacific coast state of Sinaloa where it was formed.
Considered the "most powerful drug trafficker in the world" by the United States Department of the Treasury and one of the most powerful people in the world by Forbes magazine between 2009-2011.
El chapo has famously escaped from two maximum security prisons in Mexico. In 2001 by bribing prison guards and hiding in a laundry cart and in 2015 by constructing a 1.5 km tunnel from his cell to a nearby house.
Note: Sources disagree on the date of his birth, with some stating he was born on December 25th, 1954 and others on April 4th, 1957.
- 2001-01-19 Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán escapes from Puente Grande maximum-security prison near Guadalajara by bribing prison guards and hiding in a laundry cart
- 2015-07-11 Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán escapes from Altiplano maximum-security prison west of Mexico City via a specially constructed 1.5 km tunnel from his cell to a nearby house
- 2016-01-08 Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto announces the recapture of drug lord Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán, six months after he escaped prison
- 2017-01-19 Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán is extradited to the United States to face trial for his leadership of the Sinaloa drug cartel
- 2018-11-13 Trial of Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán begins in New York
- 2019-01-15 Witness in El Chapo trial claims former Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto accepted $100 million bribe from the drug cartel head
- 2019-02-12 Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán found guilty of all 10 federal crimes against him in New York after 200 hours of testimony