Profession: NBA Forward
Why Famous: Played 13 seasons as a forward in the NBA for the Minneapolis/Los Angeles Lakers, appearing in eight NBA Finals. A gifted shooter, strong rebounder, and an accomplished passer, he was renowned for his acrobatic maneuvers on the court, regularly dazzling Lakers fans with his trademark hanging jump shots.
- 1958-06-22 NBA forward Elgin Baylor (23) weds Ruby Saunder at Mt Olive Baptist Church in Washington, D.C.
- 1958-03-22 20th NCAA Men's Basketball Championship: Kentucky beats Seattle, 84-72; Seattle's future Hall of Fame small forward Elgin Baylor is named tournament MOP
- 1959-01-23 9th NBA All-Star Game, Olympia Stadium, Detroit, Mi: West beats East, 124-108; MVPs: Elgin Baylor, Minneapolis Lakers, F; Bob Pettit, St. Louis Hawks, C; first co-winners of MVP award
- 1960-11-15 Elgin Baylor of NBA LA Lakers scores 71 points vs NY Knicks
- 1973-06-28 Black Sports Hall of Fame forms: Paul Robeson, Elgin Baylor, Jesse Owens, Jim Brown, Wilma Rudolph, Joe Louis and Althea Gibson elected