Profession: Long Distance Runner
Why Famous: Kipchoge is one of the world's great distance runners.
Early in his career he concentrated on the 5,000 meters, winning an Olympic bronze medal in Athens in 2004, and a silver in Beijing in 2008. He then switched to the marathon taking the coveted gold medal in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
He set the marathon world record 2:01:39 at the 2018 Berlin Marathon and in 2019 Kipchoge became the first athlete to run a marathon in under 2 hours (1:59:40) in a non-open event in Vienna, Austria using pacemakers.
He has also won the Chicago Marathon (2014), the London Marathon a record 4 times and the Berlin Marathon on 3 occasions.
- 2015-04-26 35th London Marathon: Kenyan Eliud Kipchoge & Ethiopian Tigist Tufa win
- 2016-08-21 Kenyan runner Eliud Kipchoge wins the Olympic men's marathon gold medal at the Rio de Janeiro Games in a time of 2:08.44; Feyisa Lilesa (Ethiopia) second in 2:09:54, and Galen Rupp (US) third in 2:10:05
- 2018-10-24 Kenyan marathon runner Eliud Kipchoge named UN Person of the Year for setting a new marathon world record and for his work with AIDS/HIV in Kenya
- 2019-10-12 Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya becomes first to run a marathon in under 2 hours (1:59:40) in Vienna, Austria; not a race by strict definition using pacesetters and pace laser markings on a doctored course
- Eliud Kipchoge - Olympic Channel