Biography: Emma Watson is a British actress, model, and activist, best known for her portrayal of Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter film series. The role of Hermione, which she played from the age of eleven, brought her international fame and prominence within the film industry. Alongside her acting career, Watson has become a prominent advocate for women's rights and gender equality.
Watson's success as Hermione opened doors to other significant film roles, despite her only acting school plays prior, including parts in The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) and Beauty and the Beast (2017), where she played the leading role of Belle.
Otherwise Watson has also been deeply involved in activism, particularly focusing on women's rights. In 2014, she was appointed a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador and helped launch the HeForShe campaign, which encourages men to advocate for gender equality.
- 2007-03-23 After some initial hesitation, Emma Watson signs on to appear as Hermione in the final three Harry Potter films
- 2014-09-18 Emma Watson delivers an address to a standing ovation at UN Headquarters in New York City, helping launch the UN Women campaign HeForShe, which calls for men to advocate for gender equality
- 2017-03-17 Live-action remake "Beauty and the Beast" directed by Bill Condon and starring Emma Watson opens
- 2017-05-07 MTV becomes 1st major awards show to adopt gender-neutral categories - Emma Watson best film actor, Millie Bobby Brown best TV actor
- 2019-11-05 Actress Emma Watson interviewed in Vogue magazine says she is happy to be single "I call it being self-partnered" launching worldwide discussion on the term